Tax law encompasses the laws and regulations applicable to taxation. The two areas of tax law familiar to most people are federal (and sometimes state) income taxes and real property taxes.
Tax considerations and consequences also play a large role in the areas of Business Planning & Transactions and Estate Planning.
Tax law is not typically an area of law involving adversarial disputes that are amenable to alternative dispute resolution, except for arbitration of property tax disputes under Georgia law.
Recent Georgia Supreme Court Decisions:
- CITY OF ATLANTA v. CITY OF COLLEGE PARK et al. (Ga. 2013) More Information & Full Text
- DRST HOLDINGS LTD. v. BROWN, SHERIFF (Ga. 2012) More Information & Full Text
- WE, THE TAXPAYERS et al. v. BOARD OF TAX ASSESSORS OF EFFINGHAM CO. (Ga. 2012) More Information & Full Text
- FITZPATRICK et al. v. MADISON CO. BOARD OF TAX ASSESSORS et al. (Ga. 2012) More Information & Full Text
- COMMUNITY RENEWAL & REDEMPTION, LLC v. NIX et al. (Ga. 2011) More Information & Full Text
- CITY OF ATLANTA v. HOTELS.COM, L.P., et al. (Ga. 2011) More Information & Full Text
- SOUTHERN LNG, INC. v. MacGINNITIE, COMR. (Ga. 2011) More Information & Full Text
- Dekalb County v. Perdue et al. (Ga. 2010) (tax collection dispute between City of Dunwoody and Dekalb County) More Information & Full Text
- Huff, Tax Commr. v. Harpagon Company, LLC (Ga. 2010) (means of collecting delinquent property taxes) More Information & Full Text
- Channell et al. v. Houston (Ga. 2010) More Information & Full Text
Top Rated Tax Law Resources:
Individuals may represent themselves in legal matters. Self-help should be considered when possible adverse consequences are relatively modest.
ADR Options for Tax Law:
- Arbitration: Arbitration is generally less expensive and time consuming than traditional litigation. Georgia law authorizes arbitration of a wide range of disputes. Arbitration FAQ
Use the Center for Legal Solutions Georgia Attorney Directory to locate attorneys with experience in this subject area. See Attorneys listed on the right side of this page.
Our legal community-driven guide highlights the most relevant, timely, and useful links available.
|Find Georgia Tax Law Attorneys|
| Dispute Resolution Pledge|
Client Communication Pledge
Pro Bono Service Pledge
Find More Attorneys